UC Cooperative Extensions Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources will be hosting a series of Cottage Food Law workshops. The California Homemade Food Act (AB1616) allows individuals to prepare and package certain non-potentially hazardous food in private home kitchens. Unfortunately process meat, dairy, fermented foods and juices are not legally acceptable cottage foods. The series has been designed especially for farmers of fruits, vegetables, nuts, herbs and honey that are interested in making value added products in home kitchens as Cottage Food Operators (COFs). These workshops will be open to the public.
The workshops will cover
- Cottage food law
- Food science and sanitation
- Hands on demos with jams/jellies, honey, nuts, dried fruit, and /or baked goods
- Packaging and storage
- Business operations for CFOs
Workshops will be held 9:00a.m to 4:30p.m both days.
- Fairfield, May 13 & May 20, 2014
- Ukiah, May 15 & May 22, 2014
- Eureka, May 28 & June 11, 2014
- Redding, May 29 & June 10, 2014
- Jackson, June 12& June 16, 2014
- Sacramento, July 1 & July 9, 2014
Cost: $25 in advance/$40 at the door space is limited. Lunch will be provided.
Register online: http://ucanr.edu/cfoworkshops
For more information contact:
UCCE Small Farm Program