The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is seeking a Sustainable Agriculture Specialist who can make an immediate contribution to our efforts to promote soil health, water conservation, and better grazing management in Texas, New Mexico, and the Southwest. NCAT is a private non-profit organization that promotes sustainable technologies and systems, especially for economically disadvantaged people. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, enthusiastic person to promote sustainable farming and ranching practices. This regular, full-time position will be based at NCAT’s Southwest Regional Office in San Antonio, Texas.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
Minimum requirements are a BA/BS degree in agriculture, soil science, pasture and range management, livestock health and production, or a related field along with three years of relevant experience; or an MA/MS degree and one year of relevant experience; or (3) an equivalent combination of education and experience. Spanish language proficiency would be a plus.
The Sustainable Agriculture Specialist will:
- Provide regionally appropriate technical assistance to farmers and ranchers by phone, e-mail, social media, workshops, and field demonstrations.
- Create educational materials such as publications, videos, webinars, podcasts, and online tutorials.
- Build and strengthen relationships with partners who share our commitment to soil health, water conservation, and better grazing management.
The successful candidate will need to have the following:
- A demonstrated commitment to sustainable agriculture and soil health.
- The ability to build relationships with farmers, ranchers, community organizations, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
- Excellent communication skills, with experience in writing and public speaking.
- The ability to work independently and willingness to travel.
- The ability to recognize and pursue development opportunities.
- Full commitment to NCAT’s mission and goals: NCAT is a mission-driven organization.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a salary range from $30,000 – $45,000 annually depending on skills, qualifications, and experience. Excellent benefits include paid leave, holidays, health insurance, 401(k), life insurance, Long Term Disability, dental and vision plan options, and a pleasant office environment in which to work.
Applications will be accepted through July 27, 2018 or until suitable candidates can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter highlighting their experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a completed NCAT application form. Requests for an NCAT application form and inquires about the application process should be directed to Kriss Sullivan. Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. Applicants can visit NCAT’s homepage at www.ncat.org and attra.ncat.org for a gateway to websites and projects developed by NCAT staff. Send completed application materials to:
NCAT Human Resource Specialist
P.O. Box 3838
Butte, MT 59702
NCAT’s mission is to help people by championing small-scale, local and sustainable solutions to promote healthy communities, reduce poverty and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve.