The National Center for Appropriate Technology or NCAT has been helping people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources since 1976. NCAT is a trusted, practical, connector for individuals and businesses who are working to leave our world better than we found it. NCAT works to foster and promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT’s work includes nationally recognized projects in energy, agriculture, food, and rural development.
NCAT is seeking a three-quarter time to full-time experienced Accountant who will perform advanced and specialized accounting assignments involving moderately complex data requiring the application of generally accepted accounting principles. Obtain and analyze financial information to prepare budgets, reports, billing statements, make workflow recommendations and support the accounting team with special projects. Prior experience with grants and contracts accounting is preferred. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer. This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional team.
This position can be 30 – 40 hours/week exempt position at the NCAT headquarters in Butte, Montana. After a training period, this position may be able to work part time in a remote capacity. This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff on a national level.
The position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting, or a closely related field with three years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with QuickBooks accounting software and familiarity with non-profit accounting systems is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
- Effective listening skills, verbal, and written communication skills;
- Understanding of cost accounting and general accounting principles;
- Strong organizational , analytical, planning, and problem solving skills with attention to detail;
- Accounting computer literacy, ability to manipulate cost and general accounting computer software programs, spreadsheets, and databases;
- Familiarity with business administration practices and payroll procedures;
- Ability to maintain information of a confidential nature;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and to complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Great customer service and interpersonal skills;
- Interest and knowledge of mission-driven, non-profit organizations.
- Promote and support NCAT’s mission;
- Plans, studies, and collects pertinent data to determine costs of business activities to include purchases, inventory and labor;
- Analyzes data, establishes and maintains reports, spreadsheets, and databases;
- Compiles and analyzes budget and cost information to be used in operating and contract budget preparation;
- Prepares monthly management reports for projects;
- Maintains contract and grant files;
- Prepares budgets and budget revisions for contracts and grants, as well as estimates for new and proposed services and other related costs;
- Provides the CFO and management with reports identifying and comparing factors affecting costs and services;
- Ensures proper compliance and reporting requirements are maintained;
- Works closely with contracts staff as well as contracting partners;
- Periodically reviews Uniform Guidance and other related publications for changes in compliance and cost regulations;
- Assists in the preparation of travel reconciliations, works with employees on necessary travel documentation, acts as backup for travel reconciliations;
- Maintains monthly General Ledger (GL) account reconciliation including bank reconciliations;
- Oversee periodic postings from Databank on-line payment system, investigate and resolve any discrepancies;
- Prepares and submits all Accounts Receivable (A/R) invoices to appropriate agencies/contracts;
- Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices;
- Collaborate with accounting team on any special projects as needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
$40,000-$55,000 annually depending on work status, qualifications, and experience. Excellent benefits include flexible schedule, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional environment.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged. Applicants are encouraged to visit www.ncat.org and www.attra.ncat.org to learn more about NCAT. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit an NCAT application and upload a resume and cover letter through BambooHR. To start the application process please visit NCAT Supplemental Information and and complete the online supplemental application. Incomplete applications or references on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. The next part of the process is uploading a current resume and a cover letter highlighting experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications.
Resume and cover letters can be uploaded at https://ncat.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Simply choose the position you are applying for and then click “apply for this job” to upload the required resume and cover letter. NCAT employees interested in being considered should upload their resume and letter of interest but are not required to complete the supplemental application information. Questions about the application process can be directed to:
Kriss Sullivan, Director of Human Resources
NCAT’s mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve. NCAT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.