The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is a private non-profit organization whose mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. NCAT works to foster and promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT’s work includes nationally recognized projects in agriculture, food, and energy.
NCAT is seeking a Sustainable Agriculture Specialist who can make an immediate contribution to our work in the Northeast region. The specialist will assist farmers, particularly diversified crop producers, in adopting sustainable agricultural practices that improve soil health, address risks associated with climate change, and build more profitable farms. If you are a self-directed leader with strong knowledge of agriculture and skills in communication and project development, this is a great opportunity for you! This regular, full-time position based out of NCAT’s office located in Keene, New Hampshire. This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff on a national level.
The preferred location for this position is Keene New Hampshire, but the position may also be located in the New England region with the ability to travel to Keene, and in the region as needed. If the successful applicant is located outside of Keene, they will be required to have a remote office set up.
- This position requires a BA/BS degree in agriculture, soil biology, horticulture, natural resource management, agroforestry, or a related field along with a minimum of five years of farming and/or relevant experience; or an MA/MS degree and a minimum of three years of farming and/or relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Spanish language proficiency would be a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission.
- Knowledge of agriculture in the Northeast and related organizations and government agencies.
- Strong knowledge of commercial agriculture relevant to specialty crops, field crops, cover crops, horticulture, agroforestry, natural resource management, farm marketing, and farm business management.
- Familiarity with integrated farming systems, concepts of sustainability and environmentally friendly, regenerative agricultural practices.
- Collaborate with limited-resource farmers and farmers from a variety of different cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills, with experience in public speaking, research, writing, editing, social media, and multimedia production.
- The ability to build relationships with farmers, ranchers, community organizations, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
- The ability to recognize and pursue development opportunities.
- Grant and proposal writing skills.
- Willingness to travel and work independently.
- Promote and support NCAT’s mission.
- Provide regionally appropriate technical assistance to farmers by phone, email, social media, workshops, and field demonstrations.
- Create educational materials such as publications, videos, podcasts, and online webinars and tutorials.
- Work with Communications team to promote workshops and events; with a goal of improving technical services to farmers and increasing NCAT’s visibility. Outreach activities include writing newsletters, blog posts, press releases, workshop announcements, and attending and presenting at local and regional meetings and conferences.
- Research, write and edit publications on sustainable agriculture topics to assist clients.
- Build and strengthen relationships with partners and stakeholders who share our commitment to sustainable, organic, and regenerative farming practices.
- Seek development opportunities for new projects and participate in proposal and grant writing processes.
- Manage projects to ensure project work and deliverables are being met.
- Liaise with farm and agriculture organizations and groups that assist farmers, particularly limited resource farmers.
- Collaborate with staff as a member of one or more technical teams in developing written materials and projects.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
$42,000 – $52,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include flexible schedule, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional environment.
Questions about the application process can be directed to:
Director of Human Resources
NCAT’s mission is to help people by championing small-scale, local and sustainable solutions to promote healthy communities, reduce poverty and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities we serve.