Put your education and experience to work to promote sustainable agriculture practices and work with family farmers, small producers and limited-resource farmers! The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is a private non-profit corporation that works to promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT is seeking a Sustainable Agriculture Specialist who wants to make a contribution to sustainable farming and ranching practices. If you are a self-directed leader with strong skills in communication and project development, this is a great opportunity for you! This regular, full-time position will be based at NCAT’s office in Jackson Mississippi.
- The position requires a BA/BS degree in agriculture, animal livestock, agronomy, entomology, horticulture, or related field, or a related field along with three years of relevant experience or an MA/MS degree and one year of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
- Knowledge of Mississippi agriculture and related organizations and groups;
- Familiarity with integrated farming systems, concepts of sustainability and environmentally friendly practices;
- Knowledge and experience with sustainable animal agriculture, pastured poultry, pastured pigs, and/or fish farming preferred.
- Knowledge of commercial horticulture, agronomic production, market gardeners or farmers markets and with farm business development;
- Excellent communication skills, with experience in public speaking, presentation, writing, editing and research;
- The ability to build relationships with farmers, ranchers, community organizations, government agencies, and non-profit organizations;
- Grant and proposal writing skills;
- Collaborate with limited-resource farmers and farmers from a variety of different cultural backgrounds;
- The ability to recognize and pursue development opportunities;
- Willingness to travel and work independently.
- Provide farmers and ranchers with information and technical assistance on environmentally sound practices for agronomic and horticultural crops and livestock production by phone, e-mail, social media, workshops, and field demonstrations;
- Peruse development opportunities, participate in grant and proposal writing process;
- Work with Outreach Specialist to promote workshops and events organized by the Mississippi office;
- Liaison with farm and agriculture organizations and groups that assist farmers, particularly limited-resource farmers;
- Create educational materials such as publications, videos, webinars, podcasts, and online tutorials;
- Research, write and edit publications on sustainable agriculture topics to assist clients;
- Collaborate with staff as a member of one or more technical teams in developing written materials and projects;
- Actively seek out funding for new projects and develop ideas related to sustainable agriculture into fundable projects;
- Build and strengthen relationships with partners and stakeholders.
Salary and Benefits:
$30,000 – $45,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation and holidays, health, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan, and a pleasant, professional working environment.
Applications will be accepted through October 28, 2018, or until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter highlighting their experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a completed NCAT application. Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. Applicants can visit NCAT’s homepage at www.ncat.org for a gateway to websites and projects developed by NCAT staff. Send completed application materials to:
NCAT Human Resource Specialist
P.O. Box 3838
Butte, MT 59702
NCAT’s mission is to help people by championing small-scale, local and sustainable solutions to promote healthy communities, reduce poverty and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve.