Opened in 2010, NCAT’s Southwest Regional Office is located in downtown San Antonio, Texas. We are constantly seeking to meet, learn about, and collaborate with other groups in our region with similar missions. We take a special interest in the states of Texas and New Mexico.
- The ATTRA Program: Providing regionally appropriate technical assistance on organic certification, cover crops, soil health, pastured poultry, water conservation, farm business planning, and many other topics.
- Subtropical Organic Agriculture Research (SOAR): Connecting students, organic farmers, and researchers, in partnership with the University of Texas–Rio Grande Valley. Visit our website or our Facebook page.
- Soil for Water: Researching and promoting ways of storing more rainwater in soil. Visit our website.
- Beyond Fresh: Expanding markets for sustainable value-added food products in Texas.
- Is Organic Farming Risky?: Improving risk management options for diversified and organic farms.
- Local food initiatives, including our Feasibility Study for a Texas Organic Food Hub. Read the study.
- Preparing military veterans for careers in sustainable farming, through field days, e-learning opportunities, business planning help, and our intensive Armed to Farm trainings. Visit NCAT’s Armed to Farm page.
We are seeking collaborators and funding for
- Regional conservation partnerships: Improving soil health and water quality through the use of cover crops, environmentally friendly grazing, and other methods.
- More water conservation projects: Irrigation efficiency, riparian protection, and farming and ranching methods that increase the water-holding capacity of soils.
- More support for organic agriculture: Our region lags behind other parts of the country, and there is great potential.
- More outreach programs to make appropriate technologies available to the region’s most economically vulnerable people.
- International partnerships.
Contact NCAT’s Southwest Regional Office
118 Broadway, Suite 524
San Antonio, TX 78205
Mike Morris (firstname.lastname@example.org) is director of NCAT’s Southwest Regional Office.