The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is seeking an Energy Engineer to work with our energy conservation projects. NCAT is a private non-profit organization that works to foster and promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT’s work includes nationally recognized projects in energy, agriculture, and food.
NCAT’s Energy Services work with commercial buildings, and agricultural energy systems to develop energy conservation projects for their HVAC, building envelope, motors, pumps, and blowers, and lighting. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff to develop energy conservation projects throughout the state. The consultant will work primarily with engineers and staff at NCAT’s headquarters in Butte, Montana. Consultants must be willing to travel around Montana.
This will be a regular, full-time or part-time position. The position will provide an excellent opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff on energy conservation projects throughout Montana. If you would like to work with building, industrial, and agricultural energy systems (lighting, HVAC, motors, pumps and blowers) to save energy, this is your opportunity. The position will be based at NCAT’s headquarters in Butte, Montana.
This is an excellent opportunity for the candidate with a combination of education and/or experience in energy systems. The position requires a BA/BS in engineering, building science or related field. Experience with sustainable energy systems, energy audits, field energy assessments including work with electrical systems, motors, pumps and blowers is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
- Strong interest and knowledge in building technologies and energy conservation;
- Ability to perform in-depth energy audits;
- Knowledge of HVAC, building envelope, control systems, electrical systems, lighting, motors, pumps, and blowers;
- Strong organization and planning skills;
- Excellent communication skills, with experience in public speaking, presentation,
- The ability to build relationships with, partners, community organizations, government agencies, and other non-profit organizations;
- Skills in research, technical writing and editing;
- The ability to work well with others, build relationships with community organizations, government agencies, non-profit organizations and other partners;
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge in promoting energy efficiency;
- Experience in energy use and conservation modeling;
- High level of computer literacy including use of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Ability to travel and work independently.
- Conduct commercial energy assessments;
- Facilitate incentives and rebates from utilities;
- Perform energy analysis with energy performance software;
- Research technical information on energy efficiency and sustainable building technology;
- Provide technical assistance to building owners, engineers, architects, contractors, and property management officials on energy efficient building practices;
- Prepare and edits written descriptions, topical summaries, bibliographies, and other information materials suitable for giving presentations and posting to websites while targeting a variety of audiences of varying degrees of technical knowledge;
- Communicate via email, telephone, and in person to gather and disseminate information;
- Recommends engineering modifications to increase energy performance.
- Attend workshops, seminars, and related events in support of project duties;
- Build and strengthen relationships with partners and stakeholders.
Salary and Benefits:
$45,000 – $55,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include flexible schedule, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional office environment.
Applications will be accepted through May 29, 2019, or until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter highlighting their experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a completed NCAT application. Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. Applicants can visit NCAT’s homepage at www.ncat.org for a gateway to websites and projects developed by NCAT staff. Send completed application materials to:
NCAT Human Resource Specialist
P.O. Box 3838
Butte, MT 59702
NCAT’s mission is to help people by championing small-scale, local and sustainable solutions to promote healthy communities, reduce poverty and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve.