The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is a private non-profit organization whose mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. NCAT works to foster and promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT’s work includes nationally recognized projects in agriculture, food, and energy.
NCAT is seeking a full-time Development Director responsible for increasing available funds from private sources, including individuals, foundations, and corporations, and managing other fundraising activities to support NCAT.
The preferred location for this position is Butte, Montana, but the position also may be located elsewhere in Montana and commute to Butte on an as needed basis.
This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff on a national level.
The position requires a BA/BS degree in Business, Communications, Marketing, or a closely related field along with five years of relevant professional experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Familiarity with software such as Microsoft Office as well as experience with CRM databases is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
- Familiarity with sustainable agriculture, clean energy, and science-based technological solutions to climate change particularly in rural America;
- Strong interest and knowledge of mission-driven, non-profit organizations;
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills, with experience in public speaking, presentation, writing, editing and research;
- Extremely proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, working with fundraising/communication software, databases, and other resources;
- Experience working with non-profit management, non-profit finance, and board of directors;
- Strong organizational and planning skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and to complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Ability to manage, coordinate and delegate;
- The ability to build relationships and collaborate with community organizations, government agencies, non-profit organizations and other partners;
- Ability to travel, as occasional travel may be required.
- Promote and support NCAT’s mission;
- Serve as a member of the NCAT Executive Team, joining with executives and program directors to coordinate and implement development and organizational strategies.
- Develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan to raise restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit foundation and corporation prospects.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit major individual gift prospects.
- Create appropriate fundraising materials.
- Manage constituent relationship management (CRM) database platform.
- Develop and implement annual and planned giving fundraising campaigns.
- Research and develop strategic corporate partnerships.
- Serve as staff liaison with current and former board members.
- Assist program and administrative staff in development of government funding proposals as needed and appropriate.
- Coordinate and direct special events as needed and appropriate.
- Cultivate and steward positive relationships with donors, board members, Alumni Board Circle members and other audiences as appropriate.
- Collaborate with Communications Director to develop and distribute appropriate and timely messaging about NCAT’s programs and services to facilitate fundraising efforts.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $68,000 – $80,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include flexible schedule, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional environment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged. Applicants are encouraged to visit the NCAT and ATTRA websites to learn more about NCAT and what we do.
All persons interested in being considered for the position must:
- Upload a resume and cover letter through our BambooHR software. Simply choose the position you are applying for and then click “apply for this job” to upload your materials. Don’t forget to highlight your experience and skills relevant to the qualifications, skills and responsibilities listed above.
- Complete the NCAT Supplemental Application Information.
Note: Incomplete applications packets will not be considered.
Questions about the application process can be directed to:
Director of Human Resources
NCAT’s mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve. NCAT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.