The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is seeking an experienced senior manager to serve as Deputy Director. This position would report to the Executive Director and have both internal and external responsibilities, ranging from project development and management (partnership development, high quality project deliverables) to administration, and human capital. The Deputy Director will partner closely with the Executive Director and other senior managers to chart NCAT’s growth and strategic response to demands for the organizations services.
NCAT is a private non-profit organization whose work includes nationally recognized projects in food, agriculture, and energy. NCAT’s programs include ATTRA, the national sustainable agriculture information service, and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program Clearinghouse (LIHEAP). The position will be located in NCAT’s Headquarters Office in Butte, Montana. Telecommuting is not an option. Applicants must be willing to travel.
The position requires the equivalent of a MA/MS degree in Agriculture, Energy, Sustainability, Environmental Studies, Business Management, Engineering or other science-based field, plus a minimum of seven years of professional senior management experience, including personnel and project management. Applicants must have experience working in a non-profit, government sector or foundation at the senior level. The position also requires a proven track record of delivering superior results in leadership roles.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the NCAT mission;
- A thorough understanding of non-profit organizational structure from board of directors to staff roles;
- • A thorough understanding of finance, and broad experience with a full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, IT and human resources;
- Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people;
- Be a team builder who is able to connect to staff both on the individual level and in larger groups;
- Capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower leaders from the bottom-up, and lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the teams, putting people in a position to succeed;
- Ability to think strategically, have strategic vision and anticipate future consequences and trends in order to incorporate them into the organizational plan;
- Proven success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities, as well as ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and good humor.
- Ability to promote NCAT’s mission and work, while operating with excellence in mind, and have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be a self-starter, have spark, imagination, creativity and remain focused in the face of pressure, and not be intimated by tasks, timelines and limitations.
- Work directly with Executive Director to establish organizational goals and policies to further NCAT’s mission;
- Work with Executive Director to develop and implement project focused fundraising strategies;
- Recruit collaborators and partners for NCAT mission-related work;
- Work with Chief Operating Officer to identify staffing strategies for the organization and to ensure operational resources needed for growth;
- Work with Senior Project Managers to help identify matching resources for energy and sustainable agriculture projects;
- Develop projects, identify funding sources, staff and other resources needed;
- Work with Chief Finance Officer to develop budget resources and finance capabilities for the organization;
- Work with the Executive Director and Board to develop and implement NCAT’s five year Strategic Plan;
- Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Executive Director;
- Manage ongoing projects, including staff, budgets and project deliverables as assigned;
- Provide day-to-day management direction and support for assigned projects.
Salary and Benefits:
$60,000 to $85,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation and holidays, health, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional working environment. NCAT will pay reasonable relocation costs.
Applications will be accepted through mid January 2017 or until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter highlighting their experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a completed NCAT application. Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. Applications and more information about NCAT can be accessed by visiting our website at www.ncat.org. The website provides a gateway to projects and other websites developed by NCAT staff. You may find an employment application under the Jobs tab. Send completed application materials to:
NCAT Human Resource Office
P.O. Box 3838
Butte, MT 59702
For convenience this announcement is also available in PDF format.
NCAT values diversity and encourages minority and women applicants to apply. For additional information about NCAT please visit our home page.
It is NCAT’s policy and organizational philosophy to ensure that all of our employment practices, including recruitment and hiring, are administered for all individuals without regard to race, sex, creed, color, national origin, age, religion, marital or veterans status, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.