The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is a private non-profit organization whose mission is to help people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. NCAT works to foster and promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged individuals and communities. NCAT’s work includes nationally recognized projects in agriculture, food, and energy.
NCAT is seeking a Communications Director responsible for NCAT’s public relations, including management of NCAT’s content development and delivery. The Communications Director will build and sustain NCAT’s reputation, as understood by constituents, partners and media audiences, for quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction.
The preferred location for this position is Butte, Montana, but the position also may be located in one of the other NCAT offices (AR, CA, MS, NH, or TX). A remote location outside of NCAT’s current office locations may be considered.
This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to work with a dedicated and professional staff on a national level.
The position requires a BA/BS degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or a closely related field along with six years of relevant professional experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
- Familiarity with sustainable agriculture, clean energy, and science-based technological solutions to climate change particularly in rural America;
- Strong interest and knowledge of mission driven or non-profit organizations;
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills, with experience in public speaking, presentation, writing, editing and research;
- Extremely proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, desktop publishing software, content management systems, and social media platforms;
- Strong organizational and planning skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and to complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Ability to manage, coordinate and delegate;
- The ability to build relationships and collaborate with community organizations, government agencies, non-profit organizations and other partners;
- Ability to travel, as occasional travel may be required.
- Promote and support NCAT’s mission;
- Manage NCAT’s brand, reputation and public image;
- Develop and implement a strategic communications and marketing plan as called for in the NCAT 2020-2025 Strategic Plan;
- Serve as a member of the NCAT Executive Team, joining with executives and program directors to coordinate and implement communication and organizational strategies;
- Review recent communications audit and utilize the information in development of communication strategies;
- Plan, supervise, and evaluate outreach efforts;
- Manage staff and coordinate teams to develop excellent content and design for NCAT websites, social media, podcasts, video, and other content delivery systems. Guide program use of media platforms to share compelling stories about staff, partners and constituents involved in sustainable agriculture, clean energy solutions and community resilience;
- Build organizational capacity to integrate a wide spectrum of technology and media in mission delivery through effective storytelling;
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists and external media;
- Increase awareness of NCAT activities, role and mission with constituents, partners, policy makers, funders and other stakeholders;
- Engage internal and external constituents in periodic review and improvement of NCAT media content and delivery;
- Participate in grant proposal development and coordinate with Development Director to cultivate new foundation, individual and government funding by increasing awareness about NCAT;
- Work with other staff on outreach to promote workshops and events organized by NCAT and its partners;
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $68,000 – $88,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include flexible schedule, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional environment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged. Applicants are encouraged to visit the NCAT and ATTRA websites to learn more about NCAT. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit an NCAT application and upload a resume and cover letter through BambooHR. To start the application process please visit NCAT Employment Application and complete the online application. Incomplete applications or references on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. The next part of the process is uploading a current resume and a cover letter highlighting experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications. Resume and cover letters can be uploaded at https://ncat.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Simply choose the position you are applying for and then click “apply for this job” to upload the required resume and cover letter. Questions about the application process can be directed to:
Director of Human Resources
For convenience this announcement is also available in PDF format.
NCAT’s mission is to help people by championing small-scale, local and sustainable solutions to promote healthy communities, reduce poverty and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration wil be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve.