The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) hopes to give military veterans and their spouses an opportunity to see sustainable, profitable small-scale farming enterprises and examine farming as a viable career. Trainings range in length from conference presentations, two-day workshops, and week-long training events. Keep scrolling to learn more.
- June 11 – June 15, 2018 ~ Armed to Farm ~ The Inn at East Hill Farm; Troy, New Hampshire Go→
- September 10 – September 14, 2018 ~ Armed to Urban Farm ~ Washington, D.C. (Stay tuned for more info and registration links)
- October 2018 ~ Armed to Farm ~ Glendive, Montana (Stay tuned for more info and registration links)
Please consider subscribing to our newsletter to be notified about future events. Thank you.
Applications Available for Armed to Farm in New Hampshire
The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is bringing their Armed to Farm training to New Hampshire. Armed to Farm gives military veterans an opportunity to transition to a farming life.
Armed to Farm combines engaging classroom sessions with farm tours and hands-on activities. Participants learn about business planning, budgeting, recordkeeping, marketing, livestock production, vegetable production, and more. Participants gain a strong foundation in the basic principles of operating a sustainable farming enterprise. In addition, Armed to Farm attendees join a nationwide network of supportive farmer-veterans and agricultural advisors.
Instructors for this New Hampshire Armed to Farm will include NCAT sustainable agriculture specialists, UNH Cooperative Extension agents, representatives from USDA agencies, and experienced crop and livestock producers.
Veterans can visit www.ncat.org/atf_NH to complete an application by April 27, 2018. The program is available to military veterans in the Northeast who are interested in starting a farm or who have recently begun farming (less than 10 years). Spouses and farming partners are also invited to apply. NCAT will notify selected participants by May 4th, 2018.
Dates, Location, and Cost
This Armed to Farm is scheduled for June 11 – June 15, 2018 at The Inn at East Hill Farm in Troy, New Hampshire
The training will be divided between classroom sessions and travel to local farms for tours and hands-on activities.
The event is free for those chosen to attend; lodging, transportation to local farms, and most meals will be provided. Participants must pay their own travel costs to and from the event.
Please contact Andy Pressman, firstname.lastname@example.org, (479) 587-3475.
Past Armed to Farm Trainings:
• April 16 – 20, 2018 ~ Davis, California
• October 9 – 13, 2017 — Charlo, MT
• August 21 – 25, 2017 — Bangor, ME
• July 31 – August 4, 2017 — Queensbury, NY
• June 12 – 16, 2017 — Fayetteville, AR
• August 29 – September 2, 2016 — Great Falls, MT
• August 9-12, 2016 — Hamilton, NY
• June 6-10, 2016 — Fayetteville, AR
• August 2-7, 2015 — Houghton, NY
• April 13-17, 2015 — Castroville, TX
• September 22-26, 2014 — Jackson, MS
• September 15-19, 2014 — Fayetteville, AR
• June 17-22, 2013 — Fayetteville, AR
Funding for Armed to Farm has come from NCAT’s ATTRA – Sustainable Agriculture program, USDA Rural Business Cooperative Services, USDA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program, projects with the University of Arkansas and Cornell University, USDA Risk Management Agency and Swords to Plowshares.